As the final step in any successful financial system implementation, user acceptance testing (UAT) is critical. It’s done to ensure that system requirements meet business needs and it allows for any issues to be identified and fixed before the system goes live.
Why is it so beneficial? While implementation can be done to your exact specifications and to adhere to your current system requirements, it also needs to work for the users in their day to day jobs. Having it tested by those who will ultimately be using it ensures a successful, and painless, go live. Having it go live and then handing it off to your team members without testing it first may result in fixes that need to be addressed after the fact, which is never a good route to take.
UAT can also give users a clear picture of what should be expected once the system goes live.
The benefits of UAT far outweigh the costs. If done correctly and efficiently, UAT should only take about 5 to 10% of the overall time scheduled for the total implementation project, but can save up to 30% of the total waste of time spent scrambling for answers and fixes when you are live.
So, how can you ensure successful UAT across the board?
- Have a plan. Make sure that you establish criteria for testing and know why you’re doing it.
- Test real world scenarios based.
- Plan testing in advance and schedule it into the implementation process.
- Choose the right people to test. Make sure you match the intensity of the test to the relative risk and the skills of the users.
- Communicate the goals and objectives. Make sure the individuals participating in the testing understand the established criteria, the reason behind the change, and all features and functionality.
- Track and monitor results or issues, otherwise you won’t be able to make the necessary changes as required.
While user acceptance testing is necessary, it often isn’t easy. Nor is it trivial. It is often one of the most important parts of any successful software implementation and thus can’t be ignored. Careful consideration should be given to it to ensure that it accomplishes all that is intended. In the end, the system and your users will be better off because of it.
At SHEA Global, we’re firm believers in the importance and benefits of user acceptance testing. That’s why we do it! We can help you. Find out more by calling 1 866 239 1113 or visiting SHEAGlobal.com today.